ELF Little Black Beauty Book - Review & EOTDs

/
11 Comments
Hello all! I hope everyone is doing well.

I've purchased this around August (I think), so I'm not sure if you can still purchase this palette. This palette contains warm neutrals with a few random brights and smoky shades.
BRAND: E.L.F (eyeslipsface)
PRODUCT: Litte Black Beauty Book (Warm Python Edition)
PRICE: 6USD
PROS: Blendability, Amount of Shades and Textures, Travel Friendly
CONS: Some Fading, Some Not Pigmented, Fall Out



I like that you get matte and shimmer shades. The full image of all the shadows above shows a more accurate representation of the shades than the close ups I posted below.
Left Side of Palette

Right Side of Palette

The right side of the palette are good everyday shades. The colors aren't too over powering, you can easily create a look for school or work. The left side contains some colors and smoky shades. For me this is a good balance since you can play with the palette more and it gives some variety so you wouldn't have to bring any extra shadows/colors with you to create different looks.

I purchased this palette with the intention to travel with it as I am someone who does not like to bring a lot things along with me. I like to keep things minimal and only bring what I need. With this palette, it minimizes the amount of shadows I bring (I'll do an updated "What's in my Travel Makeup Bag" soon).

If you're a neutral lover and you're someone who doesn't like makeup that's too 'in your face', then this palette would be something that you might be interested in. Otherwise, you could easily skip this.

Swatches - Left Side of Palette

This side contains a lot of golds, beiges and taupes. My only gripe about it is that a lot of the shades are similar. Also, the shadows on this side are a bit softer. I like the golds, the matte taupe and rust shades.
Swatches - Right Side of Palette

This side has a bit more variety. You get smoky shades, a few brights and some highlighting shades. I find this side to be a bit more pigmented. I like the peachy, plum and mossy shades.

I do experience fall out (more with the darker shades), and as you can see, you can create both soft and dramatic looks. I do advise to use a primer or a base of some sort before applying these shadows (or any shadows for the matter) to help it last longer and stay vibrant throughout the day. These shadows blend well - but if you over blend, it can look a bit muddy. Also, the shadows tend to fade when I start to blend the edges, so I always have to keep packing on the color to keep its vibrancy. It takes some work, but these shadows aren't too bad to deal with. Below are some looks I created with this palette. Hope you enjoy!
Do I recommend this palette? Yes and no. It's good for travel, contains a good amount of shades and the packaging is pretty sturdy. Though, for around the same price, I could get better shadows that are more pigmented - like from Wet N' Wild or the holiday NP Set palettes from Target, for example. But hey, you win some, you lose some. Overall, its not a horrible product, but I probably wouldn't repurchase if I could.


11 comments:

  1. Wow! Love your eye look creations :) Too bad these aren't the best quality! But the swatches do look pretty nice! I do agree that you can't beat Wet n Wild for pigment and quality and price :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah, I am a bit disappointed, but overall, they aren't too bad and they get the job done. Wet N' Wild is definitely one of the best when it comes to drugstore shadows. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. As a side note I really like the shape of your brows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and the colors look really pretty, I didn't know elf had this. Too bad about the fall out, that's always really annoying.
    Also, I agree with the comment above, I like your brow shape. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally think its a nice palette, only if the colors were more pigmented and didn't fade as much. Thank you, hon. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Dee,
    Looks like a great palette for traveling esp for those who love colours even when traveling. 6USD? That's A steal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, its a great steal and it isn't too bad of a palette!

      Delete
  5. Love the variety of shades!
    Which brand has better quality: Elf or NXY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say NYX only because I think they last longer through out the day and their shadows feel much smoother. :)

      Delete